Here's a compilation of my journey towards a high plant-based diet :)
- Couscous salad
- Simple salad
- Check out my cucumber salad on another page.
I've always been curious about cooking couscous, a North African sample. Couscous is considered one of the healthiest grain with high protein and vitamin content and low in fat. Check out my version of couscous salad.
2/3 cups Near East Wheat Couscous original plain, 3/4 cup water, 4 tsp olive oil, half a lemon, 1 bunch of Italian parsley, 2 baby zucchini- sliced and grilled, 10 cherry tomatoes- halves and salt to taste
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat water and 2 tsp olive oil to just boil
2. Stir in couscous and cover. Remove from heat and let it sit for 5 mins. Fluff cooked couscous
3. Chop parsley and zest lemon
4. Add the rest of olive oil, parsley, lemon zest, grilled zucchini and cherry tomatoes. Squeeze lemon juice over the mixture and stir
Although this is a really simple meal, it's packed with nutrients and fiber. Feel free to add your favorite greens such as spinach, radicchio, and kale.
4 to 5 leaves of washed and dried green lettuce, 3 inches of cucumber, a quarter of avocado, half a carrot, and a half cup of cooked garbanzo beans. Dressing to your liking
Tear lettuce leaves to bite size pieces. Cut cucumber, carrot, and avocado to chunks. Assemble on a salad plate and serve with your favorite dressing