I've to confess, I used to bake brownies from a brownie mix. Until I tried a coworker's brownies and thought they were heavenly. I later found out that she followed the recipe from Ghirardelli cocoa powder can. This recipe is inspired by my coworker's brownies and A.Medrich's Epicurious recipe.
The goal is to get the brownie cooked on the top but chewy moist in the center, like a cross between chocolate cake and chocolate cookie. I have to say, this is the BEST brownie I had so far!
10 tbs butter, 1.25 cup white sugar, 0.75 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli because it's my fav), 0.25 tsp salt, 0.5 tsp vanilla extract, 2 cold large eggs, 0.5 cup all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup chopped walnuts and 0.5 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli, of course).
8x8in pan, parchment paper for lining
1. Preheat oven to 325F
2. Line pan with parchment paper
3. Melt butter in microwave under LOW setting for 90 seconds in a large microwavable bowl
4. Add sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Blend well until the batter is smooth
5. Mix in vanilla extract
6. In a smaller bowl, break and beat 1 egg lightly. Add into batter and incorporate well. Repeat for the other egg. Stir until the batter looks thick and shiny
7. Add half of the flour and mix until no lumps. Add the rest of the flour and blend until no lumps. Continue stirring 10 more strokes
8. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips
9. Pour the batter into pan and smoothen the surface
10. Place pan near the bottom of the oven. Bake for 35 to 40 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out slightly moist with batter but cooked on the top
11. Remove pan and let it completely cool on a rack
12. Cut the brownies to 16 pieces and serve with your fav ice cream or whipping cream