My mother makes some of the best sambal! Check out her recipe below.
500 g shallots, 500 g garlic, 250 g dried chili, 20 stalks lemon grass, 2 knobs turmeric, 300 g dried shrimp, 4 fresh turmeric leaves and 2 cups peanut oil
1. Grind shallots, garlic, dried chili, lemon grass, turmeric and dried shrimp in a food processor
2. In a large wok or frying pan, heat oil over medium heat
3. Add grounded ingredients into the wok. Stir constantly for 30 mins
4. Lower the heat to low. Stir occasionally for another 30 mins, making sure it does not burn
5. Add turmeric leaves. Stir occasionally for another 15 mins. Remove from heat
6. Store the sambal in a clean, dry glass bottle with a tightly sealed lid
This recipe makes 1.6 kg sambal.
Check out my shorter version of sambal belacan.