My coworker and his wife typically eyeballed the ingredients so it was quite hilarious when I asked him if he could share the recipe.
Fillings can range from savory Chinese roast pork to sweet red bean paste. Enjoy!
5 cups flour, 2 tbs sugar, 2 tsps yeast, 1 cup milk, and 1.5 cups water
1. Warm milk and water to 37 degC
2. Mix the dry ingredients. Pour the liquid and knead the dough until well mixed, soft, and smooth
3. Let the dough rest at room temp until it doubles in size
4. Divide the dough to desired size. Fill the buns
5. Place a steamer basket in a large pot and fill it with water, ensuring the bottom of the basket is not touching the water. Bring the water to a boil
6. Steam the buns with a tight lid for 15 mins
7. Switch off the burner and let the buns sit for 5 mins before opening the lid
8. Serve with a nice cup of tea or coffee