Sweet Potato and Yam Recipes
I found some pretty sweet potatoes in the local farmer's market near where I live. I bought them before and loved eating them. Sweet potatoes are delicious and a great substitute to potatoes. Besides making a casserole, you can also make sweet potatoes fries or simply cook them in hot coals.
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
5 medium size sweet potatoes, 0.25 cup butter, 0.5 cup packed brown sugar, 3 tbs orange juice, 1 pinch ground cinnamon powder, 1 pinch nutmeg powder, 0.25 cup walnuts and enough marshmallows to cover the top
1. Remove sweet potatoes' skin with a peeler
2. Cut the sweet potatoes to large cubes
3. Boil a pot of water. When the water reaches to boiling point (bubbly), add sweet potatoes cubes and cook for 15 minutes or until they are fork tender
4. Preheat the oven to 350 F
5. Remove, drain and mash the cubes in a large bowl
6. Add butter, brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder. Blend well
7. Butter a 8x8 inch (2 quarts) baking dish. Add and spread evenly the mixture
8. Layer marshmallows on the top of the mixture
9. Bake for 25 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown and the mixture is heated through
10. While waiting, toast the walnuts for a few minutes over low heat until the walnuts are crunchy but not burnt. Chopped the walnuts
11. Remove the dish when it is done. Sprinkle the chopped nuts and serve!
This is my favorite camp food. It also complements steaks. This simple technique can be used for cooking potatoes and other variety of yams.
1 large yam, 1 tbs butter, a dash of salt and pepper
1. Clean yam from dirt and cut to quarters, leaving skin attached
2. Dice butter and spread on the insides of the yam
3. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the insides of the yam
4. Put together 2 yam quarters, skin facing outwards, and wrap tightly with Al foil. Repeat with the other quarters
5. Chuck the bundles on hot coals. Cook for 10 mins before turning them with thongs and cook for another 10 mins or until yam is tender when pierced with a fork
6. Let them cool for 1 min before serving
Tip: If you have small or medium size yam, cut to halves, lengthwise.
Before and after cooking on hot coals
1. Miniature marshmallows work well. If you only have large marshmallows, slice them into halves and layer on the top of the casserole
2. Feel free to mix in your favorite spices and nuts like ginger powder or pecan nuts
3. Sweet potatoes vary in sweetness. You may need to adjust the amount of brown sugar that goes in the mixture
(Top to bottom) Sweet potato casserole before baking and after baking and topped with nuts
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
I love eating sweet potato fries. In this recipe, I eye-balled the ingredients. If you must need more precise measurements, then visit this SimplyRecipe.com website. The only downside to oven baking is the fries don't crisp up like they would when deep frying. However, this method is a better health alternative.
3 sweet potatoes, brown sugar, vegetable oil, salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degF
2. Peel skins off the sweet potatoes (I keep the skins on) . Cut potatoes to 1/4 inch thick fries
3. In a large bowl, sprinkle and toss brown sugar, salt and pepper with sweet potato fries
4. Toss in about 0.25 cup of oil until fries are coated lightly
5. Spray sheet pan with cooking oil. Distribute fries to create 1 layer
6. Bake for 15 mins, flip the fries with tongs and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 mins until fries are brown and slightly crispy
7. Let fries cool for 5 mins before serving